Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Beetroot - Coconut Stir Fry

As a kid I have never had the taste of beetroot in my food. My mom never made it at home . These days I often eat it in salads but have never dared to bring the vegetable home. Last weekend, I bought two beets thinking I will make a chocolate- beet cake / beet root rice / beet root chutney. I pretty much put the veggie away until yesterday when I decided to cook up some beet poriyal (curry). To my delight the dish was extremely tasty and OMG, it was a beauty.

I know this vegetable will be a part of my grocery from this day forward. I cant get over how beautiful she looks and who can forget her gorgeous color. Enough with my new found love for beets,  here is the recipe

Ingredients:

1. Beets - 2 (cut into small pieces)

2. Grated Coconut - 1 cup

3. Curry Leaves - 1 sprig

4. Salt (to taste)

5. Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tbsp or less

6. Coriander Powder - 1/4 tbsp or less

7. Oil - 1 tbsp

8. Tadka (mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, dry red chillies)

Preparation Time : 10 mins

Cooking Time : 20 mins

Method:

1. Take oil in a wok, once its hot add the tadka ingredients and curry leaves. You can add a little garlic , for flavor if you wish.

2. Once the mustard seeds start to splutter add the cut beets.

3. Add 1/4 cup of water to the beets and close the lid.

4. Keep stirring in between and check if beets are fork tender. (i prefer to sprinkle water so they are steam cooked than fry them)

5.  Once the beets are fork tender add the chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well. (add as little as possible so as to retain the flavor of the vegetable)

6. Finally add the grated coconut and mix well. Cook on low flame for about 2 mins .

7. Serve with white rice or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment